One of the best parts about Fall is that apples are in season! Apples make a quick and easy snack for you and the children in your care. They can also be made into lots of delicious and simple treats. This recipe can be incorporated into small group time in a classroom setting, or made at home with the children in your care. Use a knife if you are interested in working on cutting skills or create thin chips with your box grater (this video shows how to use a box grater to slice different foods).
2 Gala Apples
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
2. Carefully, slice or grate apple. IMPORTANT: If you are using a box grater, use the side of the box grater with long, wide holes that look like a smile.
3. Mix cinnamon, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add apples and stir.
4. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray or grease the surface.
5. Set apple pieces in a single layer on baking sheets. Do not let them overlap.
6. Bake for one hour until golden brown and very thin. Rotate pan halfway through. Cool 5 minutes.